No comment 1
No comment 2
I am sorry I have not been posting. The whole hulabaloo of this issue has kept me (and all of my school) busy for the past few weeks. I don't know if I will write any more about this subject. Suffice it to say that I have a lot of thinking to do. What do you think?
jueves, diciembre 07, 2006
Suscribirse a:
Comentarios de la entrada (Atom)


5 comentarios:
It makes me wonder weather Judaism has an official view on homosexualism--as official as any view can be. One of the great features about Judaism is that unlike other rather blindly dogmatic versions of organized religions out there it allows--even encourages--thinking the scriptures through. Is there anything like "the received" view on that topic?
The "received" (traditional) view is that male homosexual activities (most especifically anal sex) is forbidden from the the Written Law (Leviticus 18.22) as a sin that merits the capital punishment. The prohibition is supported by the Rabbinic interpretation of this text in the Talmud and the rest of the Rabbinic literature where its centrality . Concerning Lesbians, the Bible is a quite a lot fuzzier, but there is a standing rabbinic prohibition for these kinds of relationship (although the Talmud says explicitly that they are not considered "sex" in any meaningful way, nevertheless the later rabbinic tradition emphasized the prohibition). This is the traditional view.
The liberal responsum that passed works around this prohibition by claiming that anal sex between males is still forbidden but that this does not include the rest of possible sexual encounters that can exist between two men (i.e. oral, mutual masturbation, etc.). The responsum also takes into account the vagueness of the text concerning Lesbianism to give carte blanche to Lesbian relations. I do not doubt that this responsum is well intentioned and was written in order to alleviate the suffering of people and to bring them closer to Judaism, nevertheless I find it problematic in many respects (some of them technical issues of Jewish Law, some of them ideological). Anyway, I hope I have answered your question.
Homophobia, the worst disease, you can't love who you want to love in times like these.
It's not homophobia, its halakha. Although I know that you think there is not a big difference between them.
Well - the prohibition on allowing gays to be rabbis is homophobic. For this modern man, it's that simple...
Publicar un comentario