sábado, noviembre 11, 2006

Saudade

I am sick. I have been coughing up my lungs for five days now. I had to give the sermon (devar Torah) at my community this Shabbat although my throat could barely muster a whimper. I am also sick of people not commenting on this blog. I think I have lost all of my Colombian readership with the notable exception of Adon Pronek. In the beginning I wanted to create in this blog a space where I could teach Judaism to a Spanish speaking audience given the paucity of learning of this kind in this language. Alas! We bloggers are creatures of vanity and we do need the little nudges to our overinflated cyberegos once in a while. Therefore, I will switch the language of this blog to English since my Israeli and American friends do seem to care if I live or die. I am sick and grumpy! So there!

Just a surprising song I found in the Jewish blogosphere. You can listen to it in Rua da Judaria (a very nice Portuguese blog about Judaism).

Neighborhood Bully
Bob Dylan

Well, the neighborhood bully, he’s just one man,
His enemies say he’s on their land.
They got him outnumbered about a million to one,
He got no place to escape to, no place to run.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

The neighborhood bully just lives to survive,
He’s criticized and condemned for being alive.
He’s not supposed to fight back, he’s supposed to have thick skin,
He’s supposed to lay down and die when his door is kicked in.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

The neighborhood bully been driven out of every land,
He’s wandered the earth an exiled man.
Seen his family scattered, his people hounded and torn,
He’s always on trial for just being born.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

Well, he knocked out a lynch mob, he was criticized,
Old women condemned him, said he should apologize.
Then he destroyed a bomb factory, nobody was glad.
The bombs were meant for him.
He was supposed to feel bad.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

Well, the chances are against it and the odds are slim
That he’ll live by the rules that the world makes for him,
‘Cause there’s a noose at his neck and a gun at his back
And a license to kill him is given out to every maniac.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

He got no allies to really speak of.
What he gets he must pay for, he don’t get it out of love.
He buys obsolete weapons and he won’t be denied
But no one sends flesh and blood to fight by his side.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

Well, he’s surrounded by pacifists who all want peace,
They pray for it nightly that the bloodshed must cease.
Now, they wouldn’t hurt a fly.
To hurt one they would weep.
They lay and they wait for this bully to fall asleep.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

Every empire that’s enslaved him is gone,
Egypt and Rome, even the great Babylon.
He’s made a garden of paradise in the desert sand,
In bed with nobody, under no one’s command.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

Now his holiest books have been trampled upon,
No contract he signed was worth what it was written on.
He took the crumbs of the world and he turned it into wealth,
Took sickness and disease and he turned it into health.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

What’s anybody indebted to him for?
Nothin’, they say.
He just likes to cause war.
Pride and prejudice and superstition indeed,
They wait for this bully like a dog waits to feed.
He’s the neighborhood bully.

What has he done to wear so many scars?
Does he change the course of rivers?
Does he pollute the moon and stars?
Neighborhood bully, standing on the hill,
Running out the clock, time standing still,
Neighborhood bully.

In Bob Dylan: Infidels, 1983

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Shalom Juan Pablo espero ya estes mejorando de tu gripe, bien yo sigo muy de cerca y estudio tu blog, cada vez que escribes algo nuevo es muy motivante para mi y creeme para mi, es muy valioso ya que es como el post-it que me recuerda y me enseña muchos aspectos judios a los que simplemente aca no puedo aprender en condiciones normales,es para mi como mi comunidad en linea ya que tambien he llegado a otros sites por intermedio de este, te cuento que en honor a Isaac Rabín z''l prendimos nuestra Menorah y ofrecimos parte de nuestro servicio de Shabbat en memoria de este gran lider y pedimos en mi familia y amigos presentes para que este tipo de crimenes no se presenten mas, tienes razon al estar un poco molesto con tus lectores latinos en especial los colombianos ya que parece que no comentamos mucho acerca de tus articulos, bien trataremos de mejorar esta situacion ya que es apenas logico al estar molesto.

Bloom dijo...

Gracias Leo por los buenos deseos y por la buena energía. Esperemos que pronto podamos vernos y conversar más seguido.

Un abrazo,

Bloom

Bloom dijo...

Es esta una buena solución para los comentarios perdidos? Is this a good solution to rebuilding my comment base?


Ashira » You know, you can alternate posts in English and Spanish, It doesn't have to be only one or the other. Take cough medicine!
11.14.06 - 1:36 am

aranta » get better soon!
11.13.06 - 9:56 pm

Arieh Como siempre patron, sacas los ases de la manga. Usted es el maestro, querido Maestro Arieh
11.13.06 - 5:57 pm

bloom Thank you guys! Your comments are like chicken soup for this coughing soul and this bruised cyberego...
11.13.06 - 5:26 pm

shaikai » Feel so sorry for being frequently absent. It's just that I've been terribly busy (and a little tired of that kind of situation). Anyway, I'll keep staying on tune.
11.13.06 - 3:31 pm

ascaroth » Aunque bueno, los últimos han estado cortos, en honor a la verdad.

11.12.06 - 9:36 pm

ascaroth » Una vieja clave del éxito bloggeristico es escribir corto: El lector bloggero es perezoso y poco educado. Me incluyo en esta categor�a, por supuesto.
11.12.06 - 9:34 pm

jp » Hope you are now feeling better! I had a quite busy week, and almost even didn't have the time to post or answer to comments... Guillot is quite right: quite a few people are reading you, even though they are not always commenting!
11.12.06 - 9:20 pm

Casabianca Por aqui se le sigue leyendo.
11.12.06 - 6:55 pm

javier guillot I read each and every one of your posts, master Bloom, although I have left the last two without comments (I've been waiting for the one about women in judaism). I was blogger once and recognize the craving for comments that impulses our cyberego. Shaikai and I commented a couple of weeks ago that you were, through your blog, our only reputed source about Judaic issues. So write in the language you like best, we will continue reading! Get well soon, and I follow luc�a: do not grump so much!
11.12.06 - 6:05 pm

lucía mejórate pronto de todos tus males. y no gruñas. un abrazote.
11.12.06 - 7:07 am

j. » Yo siempre ando por ahí. Neighborhood Bully es una de mis canciones de cabecera desde hace unos meses. Qu� coincidencia que la mencione.
11.12.06 - 5:54 am

Feel better!
11.11.06 - 10:53 pm



Insómnico » A mí me gusta en español...
11.11.06 - 7:42 pm

Chiquilín de Bachín dijo...

Keep on writing, we'll read you in English as well as in Spanish :-)